What does it do?
In a modern society like the USA, we appear to face even more health challenges. High cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, just to name a few, have become health risks to almost every adult. People tend to spend more time on computers, TV, eat more fast food or at restaurants, do less outdoor activities, and then watch their waistline expanding and cholesterol levels climbing. Not surprisingly, Lipitor, the cholesterol-lowering drug, has been the best selling drug in the world despite its benefits in preventing heart diseases are debatable and its known side effects such as muscle problems and liver problems.
Hawthopower™ is an all natural Chinese herbal formula with Hawthorn berry as a main ingredient. Hawthorn (Crataegus) fruits are consumed all of the world in various forms. Hawthorn is also a well known herb in both traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and Western herbalism. In TCM, Hawthorn berries help improve digestion to remove food retention in the stomach and promote blood circulation to disperse blood stasis. In the West, herbalists primarily use Hawthorn berries along with the Hawthorn leaf and flower to treat cardiac problems.
Extracts made from Hawthorn berries have been used in many studies to treat various cardiovascular problems. A meta-analysis of thirteen randomized, double-blind, and placebo controlled trials concluded that Hawthorn extracts are beneficial in treating chronic heart failure as an adjunctive treatment and symptoms such as shortness of breath and fatigue improved significantly with hawthorn treatment as compared with placebo1, 2. Hawthorn extracts were also shown to lower hypertension in patients with type 2 diabetes taking prescribed drugs in a randomized controlled trial.3 Another Hawthorn preparation was used to treat hyperlipidemia in 89 middle-aged and old patients and helped to lower cholesterol and triglycerides levels in 69.49% and 80.28% cases.4 Hawthorn extracts were found to reduce serum cholesterol levels in animals fed with high cholesterol diet.5, 6
The action of Hawthorn berry is enhanced by inclusion of several other Chinese herbs such as Dan Shen (Salvia root) and Shou Wu (Polygoni Multiflori root) in the Hawthopower™ formula as outlined below. The formulation is based on the principle of TCM. Hawthopower may help maintain healthy cholesterol levels and manage body weight for those whose overweight is caused by excessive fat accumulation.†
• Dan Shen (Salvia root) is perhaps the best known and the most commonly used Chinese herb for promoting blood circulation and removing blood stasis.† Extensive biomedical studies on Danshen suggest that it improves microcirculation, dilates coronary arteries, inhibits platelet aggregation and thrombosis, and protects against myocardial ischemia and stroke.7,8 A Dan Shen preparation was recently reported to have successfully passed a phase II clinical trial for angina pectoris in USA.
• Shou Wu (Polygoni Multiflori root) is a famous Chinese herb that tonifies the liver and kidneys and grow hair. It also helps reduce total cholesterol and triglyceride.9†
• Ban Xia (Processed Pinellia rhizome) is a key Chinese herb that transforms phlegm and stops vomiting. In TCM, excessive fat belongs to phlegm.
• Da Huang (Rhubarb root) drains fire and removes toxins. The Chinese herb moistens intestines to relieve constipation. Da Huang is reported to minimize the increase of cholesterol and triglyceride caused by high cholesterol diet.
• Mu Li (Oyster shell) nourishes the Yin energy and calms the liver. It softens hardness and dissipate nodules.
Guang Ci Tang: My Most Favorite Chinese Medicine
What is the formula composition?
A proprietary blend of
| Fructus Crataegi |
Radix Salviae Miltiorrhizae
Radix Polygoni Multiflori
Radix Et Rhizoma Rhei
Rhizoma Pinelliae Preparata
Rhizoma Arisaematis Preparata
| (Shan Zha) |
(He Shou Wu)
(Zhi Da Huang)
(Zhi Ban Xia)
(Tian Kui Zi)
(Zhi Nan Xing)
What is Available?
Guang Ci Tang
® Shan Zha Jiang Zhi Pian (Hawthopower™) 40 grams in 200 mg 200 tablets @ 5:1 strength.
At a true 5:1 concentration, this product represents the most potent form of Shan Zha Jiang Zhi Pian (Wan) on the market. One tablet is equal to 1 gram of raw herb.
Please note that Guang Ci Tang® Shan Zha Jiang Zhi Wan in the pill form, which has the same formulation as the tablet, is discontinued.
Hawthopower™ is a Guang Ci Tang signature formula.
Shan Zha Jiang Zhi Pian
tablets are made with 100% natural herbs that are tested for authenticity, quality, and potency.
A traditional water decoction is prepared with the herbs to reproduce the time-tested efficacy of the formula,
and this water decoction is concentrated with our proprietary technology to form a potent extract that is made into easily absorbed tablets,
which are remarkably effective, easy to use, and safe.
The tablets are produced by Guang Ci Tang®
in our state of the art cGMP-certified facility
and imported in accordance with U.S. FDA guidelines. When you choose Guang Ci Tang®
products, you are taking advantage of a
wonderful fusion of
science and tradition that incorporates the highest standards in the field of Chinese medicine today.
Guang Ci Tang® Advantages
so pure, so powerful, so affordable
- Double the concentration of other Chinese herb concentrated pills
- Pure water extract using minimal or no fillers/binders
- No pharmaceuticals, sugar, or dyes
- Comprehensive heavy metal testing in accordance with the US Pharmacopeia
- Proprietary extraction and formulation technology
- Reduced daily dose and larger pack size for longer use
- Made in a pharmaceutical cGMP certified facility
- Safely used in the USA since 1995
Check for an independent US lab test report.
How do I use it?
The standard dosage for Hawthopower™ is 5 tablets or pills taken 2 to 3 times daily with or before meals. One bottle lasts users 14 to 20 days.
The dose may be doubled for a quicker and stronger response as needed (e. g., in an acute phase). Consult your practitioner for precise dosage recommendations based on body weight and other factors.
Hawthopower™ is a tonic and therefore it usually takes time before its effects become apparent. It may take one month or more before symptoms begin to improve. An initial course of treatment is suggested as 4 - 6 bottles taken at the full dose.
Differentiation in Usage
Hawthopower™ has been safely used with few adverse effects.
1. Not for use during pregnancy.
- 1. Use with caution if your digestion function is weak (e. g., diarrhea.)
- 2. Consult your herbalist or physician before use if you are taking other medicines.
- 3. Keep out of reach of children.
Hawthopower™ is gluten free
In the Media
- 1. Pittler MH, Schmidt K, Ernst E, Hawthorn extract for treating chronic heart failure: meta-analysis of randomized trials. Am J Med. 2003 Jun 1;114(8):665-74.
- 2. Pittler MH, Guo R, Ernst E, Hawthorn extract for treating chronic heart failure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Jan 23;(1):CD005312.
- 3. Walker AF. et al., Hypotensive effects of hawthorn for patients with diabetes taking prescription drugs: a randomised controlled trial. Br J Gen Pract. 2006 Jun;56(527):437-43.
- 4. 宁选，梗新生，高雅仙，《山楂降脂乐对中老年高脂血症的临床观察》，河南中医，1990，(4) :23.
- 5. Xu H, Xu HE, Ryan D, A study of the comparative effects of hawthorn fruit compound and simvastatin on lowering blood lipid levels. Am J Chin Med. 2009;37(5):903-8.
- 6. Zhang Z et al., Hawthorn fruit is hypolipidemic in rabbits fed a high cholesterol diet. J Nutr. 2002 Jan;132(1):5-10.
- 7. Adams JD, Wang R, Yang J, Lien EJ., Preclinical and clinical examinations of Salvia miltiorrhiza and its tanshinones in ischemic conditions. Chin Med. 2006 Nov 23;1:3.
- 8. Cheng TO, Cardiovascular effects of Danshen. Int J Cardiol. 2007 Sep 14;121(1):9-22.
- 9. Chan YC et al., Polygonum multiflorum extracts improve cognitive performance in senescence accelerated mice. Am J Chin Med. 2003; 31:171-179.