What does it do?
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, He Shou Wu, in its processed form, nourishes the liver and kidney1
which is the source for blood and essence respectively. The liver blood nourishes the head and thus hairs. The kidney essence nourishes the bone marrow and bones, replenishes semen and controls the aging process. Therefore, He Shou Wu may make hairs grow and prevent hair-greying, strengthen bones and muscles, and relieve senility and prolong lifespan.
Several published human clinical trials2 have so far supported the traditional use of He Shou Wu. While the results vary among studies and individuals, over 60% of people who had hair loss (alopecia) experienced hair regrowth within 3 months after taking He shou Wu. In animal studies with aging mouse model, He Shou Wu was shown to lower total cholesterol and triglyceride, to reduce brain pathological changes and promote learning and memory3, 4. It is also shown to contain multiple anti-oxidants.
In addition to He Shou Wu, Shou Wu Pian (Wan) contains a blend of another 12 herbs. This formulation is to further enhance the action of He Shou Wu because He Shou Wu as a single herb often does not produce the optimal results.
Shou Wu Pian (Wan) is indicated in China Pharmacopoeia1 for insufficiency of liver and kidney; dizziness; tinnitus; soreness of the loins and weakness of the limbs; numbness of the extremities; baldness; premature hair-graying; high-cholesterol with above symptoms.
What is the formula composition?
A proprietary blend of
| Radix Polygoni Multiflori |
Radix Rehmanniae Glutinosae
Radix Achyranthis Bidentatae
Fructus Ligustri Lucidi
Semen Sesami Nigrum
Semen Cuscutae Chinensis
Fructus Psoraleae Corylifoliae
Flos Lonicerae Japonicae
Herba Ecliptae Prostratae
Fructus Rosae Laevigatae
| (He Shou Wu) |
(Nu Zhen Zi)
(Hei Zhi Ma)
(Tu Si Zi)
(Bu Gu Zhi)
(Xi Xian Cao)
(Jin Yin Hua)
(Mo Han Lian)
(Jin Ying Zi)
What is Available?
Guang Ci Tang
® Shou Wu Pian (FotiHair™) 40 grams in 200 mg 200 tablets @ 5:1 strength.
At a true 5:1 concentration, this product represents the most potent form of Shou Wu Pian (Wan) on the market. One tablet is equal to 1 gram of raw herb.
Please note that Guang Ci Tang® Shou Wu Wan in the pill form, which has the same formulation as the tablet, is discontinued.
Shou Wu Pian
tablets are made with 100% natural herbs that are tested for authenticity, quality, and potency.
A traditional water decoction is prepared with the herbs to reproduce the time-tested efficacy of the formula,
and this water decoction is concentrated with our proprietary technology to form a potent extract that is made into easily absorbed tablets,
which are remarkably effective, easy to use, and safe.
The tablets are produced by Guang Ci Tang®
in our state of the art cGMP-certified facility
and imported in accordance with U.S. FDA guidelines. When you choose Guang Ci Tang®
products, you are taking advantage of a
wonderful fusion of
science and tradition that incorporates the highest standards in the field of Chinese medicine today.
Guang Ci Tang® Advantages
so pure, so powerful, so affordable
- Double the concentration of other Chinese herb concentrated pills
- Pure water extract using minimal or no fillers/binders
- No pharmaceuticals, sugar, or dyes
- Comprehensive heavy metal testing in accordance with the US Pharmacopeia
- Proprietary extraction and formulation technology
- Reduced daily dose and larger pack size for longer use
- Made in a pharmaceutical cGMP certified facility
- Safely used in the USA since 1995
Check for an independent US lab test report.
How do I use it?
Take 6 tablets 2 to 3 times daily. One bottle lasts users 11 to 17 days.
As the herbal formula is a mild tonic and acts slowly, results may not be noticeable
within 3 months, it is suggested to take it for 3 months in full dose as the first regimen. The dose may then be reduced.
Differentiation in Usage
Shou Wu Pian (Wan) has been safely used with few adverse effects when it is used as directed.
- 1. Do not use it if you are taking cold medicines.
- 2. Consult your herbalist or physician before use if you are taking other medicines.
- 3. Avoid taking oily food.
- 4. Use with caution if you have any of following symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, stuffness of the abdomen, phlegm, and cough.
- 5. If any adverse symptom occurs, discontinue use.
- 6. Keep out of reach of children.
In the Media
- 1. China Pharmacopoeia 2000.
- 2. Dharmananda S. Ho-Shou-Wu. http://www.itmonline.org/arts/hoshouwu.htm.
- 3. Chan YC et al., Polygonum multiflorum extracts improve cognitive performance in senescence accelerated mice. Am J Chin Med. 2003; 31:171-179.
- 4. Chan YC et al., Beneficial effects of different Polygonum multiflorum Thunb. extracts on memory and hippocampus morphology. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol. 2002 Dec;48(6):491-7.