What does it do?
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Liu Wei Di Huang Wan can replenish Yin due to the Yin insufficiency of the kidney. The kidney is the innate foundation of all organs with respect to the Yin-Yang principles, Qi essence etc. When the kidney is diminished functionally, many other organs show malfunctions. It is thus vitally important to maintain the kidney in a good state. This explains why many symptoms seemingly unrelated to the kidney may be relieved by restoring the kidney Yin-Yang.
While modern biomedical studies have yet to reveal the basis of the kidney Yin-Yang and how Liu Wei Di Huang Wan works, some researches have found that Liu Wei Di Huang Wan can increase the number of T lymphocytes and regulate the production of cytokines1, 2 and thus Liu Wei Di Huang Wan may adjust the immune function of our body. Liu Wei Di Huang Wan can also increase the production of sex hormones and of adrenal cortical hormones that have anti-inflammatory function in animal studies3. Moreover, Liu Wei Di Huang Wan can reduce blood sugar levels and increase the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in the diabetes rat model4. SOD is a key enzyme for eliminating free radicals in the body and its enhanced function prolongs lifespan in animal studies.
Liu Wei Di Huang Wan is indicated in China Pharmacopoeia5 for Yin insufficiency of kidney; dizziness; tinnitus; weakness and soreness of the loins and the limbs; emission and sweating. Many published and unpublished human clinical studies have supported the use of Liu Wei Di Huang Wan in numerous conditions, some of which are highlighted below.
• Back pain due to the kidney Yin insufficency. Typically, you feel weakness and then soreness of the waist and legs. You may also feel dizziness, faint vision, tinnitus, tiredness, sweat or low fever. You start to forget things and do not sleep well. You feel you are sick but doctors cannot find any underlying cause. You are not alone and these are common problems for people especially professionals who spend hours daily in front of computers and who are getting older (e.g., over 40). (see low back pain for more info)
• Sexual performance. You feel you are not as hard as before and do not last as long as before. You feel sore waist the next day and it takes longer time for you to reinvigorate. (see sexual wellness for more info)
• Type II diabetes disease4. In recent years, Chinese doctors have found that Liu Wei Di Huang Wan is very effective in treating diabetes type II disease. In multiple controlled human clinical trials, Liu Wei Di Huang Wan is reported consistently effective in over 90% patients, of which most have their blood sugar levels returned to the normal. The treatment is at least as good as the standard treatment with western medicines. When Liu Wei Di Huang Wan is used together with western medicines, it further enhances the efficacy of the western medicines.
• Menopausal syndrome. In a human clinical trial, 23 women were treated with Liu Wei Di Huang Wan for 3 months, the symptoms of hectic fever, hot flash, sweating, palpitation, and insomnia were significantly improved in 39.1% patients. Additional 60.9% showed some improvement.
What is the formula composition?
A proprietary blend of
| Radix Rehmanniae Preparata |
Fructus Corni Officinalis
Cortex Moutan Radicis (Paeonia Suffruticosa)
Rhizoma Dioscoreae Oppositae
Sclerotium Poriae Cocos
Rhizoma Alismatis Orientalis
| (Shu Di Huang) |
(Shan Zhu Yu)
(Mu Dan Pi)
What is Available?
Guang Ci Tang
® Liu Wei Di Huang Pian (YinVive™) 40 grams in 200 mg 200 tablets @ 5:1 strength.
Guang Ci Tang® Liu Wei Di Huang Wan (YinVive™) 40 grams in 200 mg 200 pills @ 5:1 strength.
At a true 5:1 concentration, both products represent the most potent form of Liu Wei Di Huang Pian (Tang/Wan) on the market. One tablet or pill is equal to 1 gram of raw herb. Both Both tablets and pills have the same formulation.
Liu Wei Di Huang Pian
tablets are made with 100% natural herbs that are tested for authenticity, quality, and potency.
A traditional water decoction is prepared with the herbs to reproduce the time-tested efficacy of the formula,
and this water decoction is concentrated with our proprietary technology to form a potent extract that is made into easily absorbed tablets,
which are remarkably effective, easy to use, and safe.
The tablets are produced by Guang Ci Tang®
in our state of the art cGMP-certified facility
and imported in accordance with U.S. FDA guidelines. When you choose Guang Ci Tang®
products, you are taking advantage of a
wonderful fusion of
science and tradition that incorporates the highest standards in the field of Chinese medicine today.
Guang Ci Tang® Advantages
Effective. Safe. Affordable
- True 5:1 concentration
- Double the strength of other brands
- Minimal or no fillers and binders
- No pharmaceuticals, sugar, or dyes
- Comprehensive lab testing (e.g., heavy metals,etc.)
- Made in a cGMP certified facility
- Unbeatable value
- Safely used in the USA since 1995
Check for an independent US lab test report.
How do I use it?
The standard dosage for Liu Wei Di Huang Pian (Wan) is 5 tablets or pills taken 2 to 3 times daily with or before meals. One bottle lasts users 2 to 3 weeks.
Liu Wei Di Huang Pian (Wan) is a mild tonic and therefore it takes time before its effects become apparent. It may take one month or more before symptoms begin to improve. An initial course of treatment is suggested as 4 - 6 bottles taken at the full dose.
Differentiation in Usage
Liu Wei Di Huang Wan is closely related to YanVive
™ in formulation and applications. YanVive is suitable for people who feel cold in the legs and whose face is pale, signs of Yang insufficiency. If no such signs are observed, Liu Wei Di Huang Wan is suggested for use.
Liu Wei Di Huang Wan has been safely used by millions of people with few adverse effects or contraindications. Suitable for a long term administration.
- 1. Do not use it if you are taking cold medicines.
- 2. Consult your herbalist or physician before use if you are pregnant.
- 3. Consult your herbalist or physician before use if you are taking other medicines.
- 4. If any adverse symptom occurs like lost appetite, discontinue use.
- 5. Keep out of reach of children.
In the Media
- 1. Cai B, Jiang T. Study on preventive and curative effects of liu wei di huang tang on tumors. J Tradit Chin Med. 1994 Sep;14(3):207-11.
- 2. Shen JJ, Lin CJ, Huang JL, Hsieh KH, Kuo ML. The effect of liu-wei-di-huang wan on cytokine gene expression from human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Am J Chin Med. 2003;31(2):247-57.
- 3. Dharmananda S. Rehmannia. http://www.itmonline.org/arts/rehmann.htm.
- 4. Review of clinical applications of Liu Wei Di Huang Wan in treatment of diabetes and complications. Chinese J Current Traditional Western Medicine. A 1726-6424 (2003) 11-0976-02.
- 5. China Pharmacopoeia 2000.